Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tough to be a small beastie around here

Thanks
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 929 Posts
    Botha youse guys are being too hard on yerselfs...

I type at the speed of normal speech. <-- Say: "I type at the speed of normal speech" casually out loud, and you will see I type at a comfortable fast rate. That said, I seldom enter a post without going back and fixing shit, same as you guys.

I ain't dyslexic, but I am getting overweight as I enter the springtime of my senility.

cannon armor.jpg

OK. The above pic of the armor of the pore sumbitch what shoulda ducked was an experiment. The pic came up just fine. Useta be my avatar, that is how old it is.

Then it turned into a link. Sumbitch.

Main1: I have found a source of glitch... mebbe it will help your IT guy:

If a pic is taken from a URL, and it is, say, 1600x1600 pixels... If you copy it to your own 'puter and resize it, you will NOT be able to put it here. You will get the link instead.

Next up is a pic that I found on the Net that was 1600x1600. I resized it to fit on this screen. And this is what we get:

Insert Image !
    From ComputerFrom URL
    Add an Image from your computer
    Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
    FileSize
    bobcat.jpg196.1 KBX
    Total Size: 196.1 KB Files: 1
    Select Files Upload File(s) Clear List

There It Is.

A one-to-one, apples to apples comparison. If I posted the GIANT pic straight from the Net, I betcha it would work. Lessee:

"remote file is too large" <-- dialog box popped up

OK, now we will search the Internet for a pic that we do NOT have to resize:

"Invalid file" <-- dialog box popped up

OK, now we will SAVE that pic with the "Invalid file" to my 'puter, and try to post it without changing the size:

Florida-Bobcat.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there, Ladeez and Gentlemen, is the glitch laid out step-by-step:

If you try to take it directly from the Net... Red !

If you go the other route, you get it stuffed into a link.

ONE MORE VARIATION: Suspose I try to enter that pic using the old fashioned method of (img)yada.jpg(/img) directly from the Net... Here goes:

I have found (a shitty) workaround, sorta, haven't I...

DITCH that little, no-fargin-good picture frame thingy up on the top next to the video insert icon (we'll try THAT one later), and go straight from the Net to here without changing size or anything else.

That will work, providing you do not try to post a six-foot picture...

HEY!

Lookit the above pic!!!! On the Net, it is 3523x2827 pixels!!

This site's software AUTOMATICALLY RESIZES PICS to fit. If you try to resize it on your own computer, you hit the red minefield.

Geez.
    Last edited by Unca Walt; 10-14-2017 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks
    It's all in the software "settings" Walt. The software makes it so people don't flood the post with high bandwidth pictures, pissing off people who have to wait forever for a page to load.

The software admin has to guess about how big of a picture to allow. This goes back to the day when accounts didn't have a lot of hard drive space. If you upload a file it used up the account's limited drive space. When you link in from the net it doesn't matter because it isn't stored on the account's allotted space.

All this software was designed years ago before the introduction of large drives. Now most hosting services give the account unlimited drive space.

So back to the problem. Main1 or whoever has the master password needs to go through all the settings, (and there are a lot) and change them to fit the behavior of the forum users.

I'm sorry, I can't make document files explaining the process very well. I can do it, but can't describe it.
    You don't get change by being polite, you have to offend people sometimes, or nothing will happen.

People rather die with a lie than live with the truth when the truth means: "you've been fooled all of your life".

The Breeze

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thebreeze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Goddamn, breezy... yer a fargin GEEK.

Mongo impressed.

You may have just given Main1 a good lead. Hope so.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,233 Times in 786 Posts
    I'm going to be looking into a new bulletin software for this site. Its just outdated, and is part of the problem as web browsers are being updated. I cant do much in the next week or two, but I'll have some time in November. Of course if anyone here wants to step up and knows a thing or two, I'd be happy to talk to negotiate with you.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to main1event For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,681 Times in 4,881 Posts
    Couple of forums I belong to use XenForo Link A bit of a learning curve, but seems to work fairly good. Not sure of the cost or any of the particulars.
    "You have to prepare to die to really understand how to live".

Thanks
    Thanked 10,373 Times in 3,558 Posts
    Here in Florida we're free to shoot bobcats that are a nuisance up till April [I think]. We had one raiding the chickens and called Fish and Wildlife, who said "nothing we can do about it". So I asked if I could simply shoot the bastidge, and they said "Yup"! I asked if it was legal all year and they said no, but most of the year, they said something like April through August was when they had their kittens and raised them, so we had to lay off for then, so I shot the raider and went on with it. We're right next to the St. Johns basin, so lot's of scrub land and open area for them to breed and run. Lake Poinsett is right down the road as well.
    Mark Ancona
    "Deo adjuvante non timendum"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ancona View Post
    Here in Florida we're free to shoot bobcats that are a nuisance up till April [I think]. We had one raiding the chickens and called Fish and Wildlife, who said "nothing we can do about it". So I asked if I could simply shoot the bastidge, and they said "Yup"! I asked if it was legal all year and they said no, but most of the year, they said something like April through August was when they had their kittens and raised them, so we had to lay off for then, so I shot the raider and went on with it. We're right next to the St. Johns basin, so lot's of scrub land and open area for them to breed and run. Lake Poinsett is right down the road as well.
    That pointy-eared bastage got my LAST DUCKIE!! It's name was "Peeper" <-- It wuz that type of duck that did not quack, but peeped or squeaked.

Stepped out back this moanin' and found the remains of two pore ole doves as well. Feather piles. Shitdamnhell.

Hey. I heard you guys just launched sumpin'... I din' hear about it until yestiddy. What was it?
    Last edited by Unca Walt; 10-16-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Unca Walt View Post
    Goddamn, breezy... yer a fargin GEEK.

Mongo impressed.

You may have just given Main1 a good lead. Hope so.
    Started life as a gearhead, then turned hammer and nail. Move up here from Ft LaLadale in 96 to open a small ISP for dialup service. That was the time AOL sent 5 coasters a week to your mailbox. Looked into how difficult it would be. All one needed to back then was to find a closet size office to rent near a phone company central office. (less than a mile) Rent a T-1 line from them, hire someone smarter than myself to set it all up. Remember 14.4 modem was really fast in them days.

Had some flyers printed up and charged $5 less than AOL a month. Bought a new suit and put on my salesman hat and had at it. The Law Team, Fetterman & Associates was the first web site I sold. Anyway the guy I hired would add the new accounts that came in daily after midnight where he worked for Wiznet, a company tha would scan your printed catalog and make it available from Wiznet's home page. Just writing this stuff right now is putting a smile on my face as I think about it. I really didn't know squat about the internet, but I could hammer a nail, and finish drywall real good. This was just a "see a opportunity, go for it". Sold the whole thing 18 months later to "MindSpring", who got bought out by Quest. Yeah, had about 20k invested and sold for more than 1/2 a mil.

Got interested in internet forums back in 2003 or so. Downloaded a copy of SMF and started looking at the code. Again I just picked a spot that needed fixin and focused on that rather than the whole thing. Worked on the admin control panel code to make the code neater, and way more user friendly for the Admin. Being that SMF was open source software, and free, anyone could make what they thought was better, submit it and it might be used by the development team. But like any freedom loving group of geeks from across the world there were personality that clashed. That kept SMF from growing and it needed to grow into a mature software that could handle hundreds of thousands of users.

I tired of the BS and slowly dropped out, but helped out a few guys who were working on a SMF fork named "Wedge". That broke down after a year but we discovered some really great ways to implement the code. Nao is still developing Wedge as it was his baby from the start. He is located in France and is obsess with neat and clean looking software. At both sites you will see where the text wraps around images. That was a 2 am idea I had that sprung into life in about a hour. If you click either of the two links above notice just how fast the pages load. There is NO software that runs as fast as SMF or it's forks, none. It's the way the database is set up, and no-one else is set up like it, and they can't change without scrapping everything. Some critics say it can't handle a lot of users, heh..
    Quote Originally Posted by From SMF community home page
    Forum Stats3,718,111 Posts in 448,109 Topics by 402,706 Members.

VBull is hampered with stagnate people only in it for the money. Where software like SMF and Wedge are FREE to all who want to use it. Someone mentioned XenForo now there is some crappy software in my opinion. I've gotten more than one PM there about me ragging on it. Well it's true, it sucks.

The other thing I have never figured out is why would someone pay for software that isn't even close. Granted VBull was the best 10 years ago, but not any longer. Trouble is it is really tough to switch a live forum, really tough. So to anyone reading this look at all your options before you shell out bucks for some software that is hampered by the lack of creative thinking people.

And NO, I'm not interested in getting involved in any project again. At my age, and the health problems I'm facing I have no desire for the stress. I'm even surprised that I made this post, as I usually I do not criticize other peoples choices. Maybe it's the residual effect from the drugs left over from today's lung biopsy, who knows, no-one survives lung cancer.

Hmm. May have to call 911. I'm coughing up blood and I ain't supposed to be doing that... see y'all later.
    You don't get change by being polite, you have to offend people sometimes, or nothing will happen.

People rather die with a lie than live with the truth when the truth means: "you've been fooled all of your life".

The Breeze

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thebreeze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Holy shit, bro!!!

PLEASE keep me posted, willya?