Thread: I love my new AK-47

Thanks
    Thanked 2,334 Times in 856 Posts

I love my new AK-47

Folks, I have had the opportunity to compare the Mattel Toy with Rooshia's iconic boorango.

There is NO comparison.

For ease of operation, reliability, ease of field stripping***

***Oh, wait. There is a YouTube of Rooshian CHILDREN standing in line... One picks up the AK, strips it down. With HER FINGERS -- NO TOOLS. The next kid puts it together. Next kid takes it down again. And so on for the whole fargin line of kids. In SECONDS.

Now let us see the POS, vile, idiot-designed Black Rifle. First, it looks great. Mean. Kewl.

The accolades stop there. Let's do the Rooshian chillun thing, except with the Mattel Toy:

Push out a pin and the rifle breaks open like a shotgun allowing you to pull out the bolt carrier assembly.

Wait, be careful not to lose or damage that T shaped charging handle… it is made out of relatively soft aluminum compared to the bolt carrier. After the bolt carrier is out, you need to disassemble it.

There is a firing pin retaining pin, then the firing pin, then the big rotating bolt pin… Now, you can pull out the bolt.

Don’t lose any of those pins, if you do, you are screwed. Now gotta take that little bolt and drift out the little extractor pin – careful not to let the spring fly.

Then there is the ejector and its little pin and spring.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try this totally ridiculous beginning (it gets worse) in the field. In the dark. In the mud.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To clean the fargin Mattel POS, you MUST have pipe cleaners. You can use the firing pin to scrape the baked charcoal (red hot metal and carbon, d'ysee) off. The carbon gets there in a superheated state becuz ALL the hot gases come back to the receiver with the shitty idiot design. It is called gas impingement, and only one other rifle that I know of that uses this idiot method -- the French MAS-49. Even the Fargin Frogs stopped making them in 1965.

Takes about 45 minutes. And the SOB jams if a blade of sawgrass gets in the receiver. And **IF** you lose that "Oh SHIT!" pin, (that is really what it is called!!!) you no longer have a rifle. It is permanently reduced to an awkward club until you can get it back to the Armorer.

"The best way to improve the Mattel Toy is to unscrew the front sight and put a new gun under it."

Enough.

Just talk to GI's that are stuck with this dainty POS.

Meanwhile, my uuuugly-beautiful AK has been dropped in soupy mud. Pick it up and fire the sumbitch; it doan care atall, atall.

If you want to clean your AK, go to a stream or rice paddy. Dunk the bastid in the water and swirl it around. You are good to go.

Do the same with the Mattel Toy, and you need another one.

So I took my Rooshian blaster out to my back yard range and began pumping rounds out. A pleasure to shoot.

Now let's talk safety. As in the safety switch. On the POS, it is a dinky little multi-setting thing on the left side... smaller than the fargin trigger, and located amongst a lot of other items located there.

See the pic? IS THE SAFETY ON OR NOT???

On the AK, it is a fargin monster lever you could operate with your fargin boot (or numb or wounded hands or even your chin if you had to). It is located on the right, all by itself. Even someone who never ever saw an AK before would instantly know what it was and how it works.

versus -- see the pic? Is the safety on or not?? Clearly, without having to read anything or futz around, you can see from 30 feet away that the safety is ON.

Dammit, oncet I gits started...

Back in The Day, the AK cost $40 (you can still pick up some for that in the ME). At the same time, the Mattel Toy cost $850. Who got the graft money?
    Last edited by Unca Walt; 06-25-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 583 Posts
    As a battle rifle, AK's do what they're supposed to (big news flash there). My views on them are colored by my decades of rifle competition and at 300 yards & up (especially up), you'd be hard pressed to get two bullets to land in the same area code. One of my AR's is a reliable sub-MOA shooter and has cleaned NRA hi-power targets at 600 yard prone matches.

But, I can hear you saying, as a reliable short range battle weapon, AK's work, and you'd be right. But elegant, precise, they ain't.

Colt H Bar Match Elite by Tom, on Flickr
    "Liberalism isnít Western culture, but its corpse."-Richard Fernandez

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

nothing good ever came from the upper class paying the lowest class to terrorize the middle class

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,602 Times in 4,838 Posts
    This isn't gonna be a AR vs. AK thread, is it?

I've a match grade M1A - no fancy pictures - I use-ta could hit way out there with just the iron sights.

Getting old, maybe get me an SKS, wait, I already have one of those, no AK's or AR's though.
    "You have to prepare to die to really understand how to live".

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lt Dan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
    This isn't gonna be a AR vs. AK thread, is it?
    Shouldn't be. It's just a matter of what you want in a rifle. I'm prejudiced, I want accuracy. In a battle rifle, reliability is pretty damned far up the list and that's what AK's do.
    "Liberalism isnít Western culture, but its corpse."-Richard Fernandez

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

nothing good ever came from the upper class paying the lowest class to terrorize the middle class

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,602 Times in 4,838 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Shouldn't be. It's just a matter of what you want in a rifle. I'm prejudiced, I want accuracy. In a battle rifle, reliability is pretty damned far up the list and that's what AK's do.
    I get that! I bought the SKS at a gun show off a private individual. Gun showed almost no use as he said it just sat in in his closet collecting dust. I shot it some, but like you, I would rather shoot something with a tad more accuracy. I've some M1 Garand rifles plus that M1A that do that. May not be MOA, but some of that might be on me. Even my old eyes, I can still hit fairly good given a rifle that will do its part.
    "You have to prepare to die to really understand how to live".

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    You are precisely correct, Sir, and spot-on to boot.

The AR is fantastic on a shooting range. It'll beat the crap outa any AK ever made.

Your value it for its strengths: accuracy, precision. And the reason you have it is quite sound: Target practice/competition.

My battle rifle (back in the Games) went U/S moments before enemy contact. For reasons that still exist today.

Just axe the GI's coming back from The Land Of Gritty Dust In Absolutely Fucking Everything.

They'll bitch about the Non-Functioning Gear resulting anytime hospital operating room cleanliness just ain't available. And regular duties as well as extended field time often leaves no time at all for fiddling with the Oh SHIT! pin.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
    I get that! I bought the SKS at a gun show off a private individual. Gun showed almost no use as he said it just sat in in his closet collecting dust. I shot it some, but like you, I would rather shoot something with a tad more accuracy. I've some M1 Garand rifles plus that M1A that do that. May not be MOA, but some of that might be on me. Even my old eyes, I can still hit fairly good given a rifle that will do its part.
    All my life I have lusted for a Garand. Never had the money to both buy and feed it.

To me it has a deep beauty that I see in a very few other things military... such as the F4U Corsair, the B-17, and the F-4 Phantom.

I useta drool over Phantoms, the way they had wings going every which-a-way. Pure sex.

And I'da given my left nut and a year in Hell to be a F4U "Whispering Death" pilot...