Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Pocket Change or Teller Tray Scores lately people

Thanks
    Thanked 1,468 Times in 892 Posts

Any Pocket Change or Teller Tray Scores lately people

Well the "Kid" was just grabbing a few penny rolls over at the bank to scour for Wheaties an 95% Copper pennies and came up with these.

Attachment 2091
    Thank you George for your astute insight...

"Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac...War against a foreign country only happens when the moneyed classes think they are going to profit from it."

George Orwell

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Milomorai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Alright I confess those pennies are not the reason I started this thread it was really to show off my new teller tray acquisition,
    It's kind of scruffy but I guess it's still worth about $7.00 or so.
    Teller about 19 - 20, had no idea. Banks around here are rotating, firing, getting them to quit all in there early middle 20's about every 3 months. The last old lady teller retired about a month ago.

Attachment 2092

"Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac...War against a foreign country only happens when the moneyed classes think they are going to profit from it."

George Orwell

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milomorai For This Useful Post:

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 551 Posts
    Not from a teller tray but I scored one identical to this from public park the other day
    http://secure.jamesavery.com/jewelry...-Wedding-Band/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fullsafe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fullsafe View Post
    Not from a teller tray but I scored one identical to this from public park the other day
    http://secure.jamesavery.com/jewelry...-Wedding-Band/
    Not bad, Good thing I reread your reply, thought you might have made a big mistake. Again.
    Last edited by Milomorai; 07-27-2013 at 07:02 PM.

George Orwell

Thanks
    For what it's worth . . .

About a month ago, when I took two of my granddaughters to the local McDonalds, my change included a 1961-d Roosevelt dime. The person at the cash register was young, also; in her late teens or early 20's. That's the only 90% coin I've received in change in several years. ( And I don't remember when it happened before . . . )

On a side note, my wife and I run a fireworks stand for someone each summer and I always get 20 rolls of nickels, 20 rolls of dimes and 20 rolls of quarters for our cash registers. I always look forward to searching through them in hopes of finding some silver coins. In the summer of 2012, I found . . . one silver dime. This year I found . . . nothing . . . . . . . . . . . .

Milomorai, I still regularly, search through rolls of pennies to save the 95% copper pennies and an occasional wheat cent. In our local area, I used to get 27 to 28 percent of 95% copper pennies in the rolls, but recently it has dropped into the 24 to 25 percent range. ( Someone must be bleeding the copper pennies from circulation around here !! . . . AND . . . the 2013's are gradually appearing in the rolls now . . . ) Locally, the 1982's are still approx. 80% copper ( the range is 78 to 82 % for the 1982's ).
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.” -- Thomas Jefferson

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cronus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah Cronus there still out there, silver dimes, halves maybe an occasional Quarter You have to go through about $80 to $150 of dime rolls around this area to come up with 1 or 2 dimes
    I've picked 27 silver dimes out roll searching, 3 of them mercury's in the last 3 or so years, this is my first 90% half in a decade though. I've found maybe 4 40% Kennedy's in the last 10 years
    My problem is I don't have enough operating capitol to do dimes that often. Thanks for reminding me I had forgot about searching dimes these last 3 or 4 months.

95% copper pennies Probably average about 11 to 13 a roll.
    Last edited by Milomorai; 07-27-2013 at 10:04 PM.

George Orwell

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Milomorai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't search rolls, but my son works at a convenience store and I taught him to keep an eye out for "silver" in the till. So far he's come up with a couple of mercury dimes. My step-son works as a bar tender and saves all his tips in a big jar at home. He lets me go through it before he cashes it in at the bank. No silver from that source so far, but the last time I got to scour the jar there were some "interesting" tips...a 1 cent Euro (Cyprus), a couple of 2 cent Euros, and a French 1 Franc coin from pre-Euro era. Guess that as long as you throw some "coin" on the bar it looks like you're being nice to the bartender. I did save all the nickels out of the tips for potential "future" gains.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shortstack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shortstack View Post
    I don't search rolls, but my son works at a convenience store and I taught him to keep an eye out for "silver" in the till. So far he's come up with a couple of mercury dimes. My step-son works as a bar tender and saves all his tips in a big jar at home. He lets me go through it before he cashes it in at the bank. No silver from that source so far, but the last time I got to scour the jar there were some "interesting" tips...a 1 cent Euro (Cyprus), a couple of 2 cent Euros, and a French 1 Franc coin from pre-Euro era. Guess that as long as you throw some "coin" on the bar it looks like you're being nice to the bartender. I did save all the nickels out of the tips for potential "future" gains.
    I'm still checking the magnetic strip on the coin machine at the bank and get euro's, bahama's, different foreign coins, goodluck tokens and all kinds of freaky stuff.
    Pulled 2 Canadian quarters out today, that's about $17-$18 bucks in Canadian nickels, dimes and quarters collected over the last few years, and maybe $1.25 Canadian pennies out of roll searching
    If only I could spend it.

George Orwell

Thanks
    Shortstack, I, too, save all the nickels I get in change, for the future And have occasionally gotten a euro coin in my penny rolls. Also, an occasional Canadian cent. I think I've read recently somewhere that Canada will stop, or has stopped making cents.

I hope your son and step-son will occasionally run across a silver coin !
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Milo , you should get $600 to $800 together and go buy you a good metal detector--an AT Pro or Xterra 705 and learn how to use it. Your state has some stinky detecting laws for public areas but the place is full of small towns with older houses and areas you could find lots of silver coins and cool stuff around. I found a good bit of gold prospecting back in the late 80's with a detector and have gotten the bug again in the last year or so. It's hard to find areas with civilization and pre-64 silver coinage around here but you still run across it now and then in the older areas. I've dug about 20 silver dimes and 4 quarters in the last year as well as about a $1000 of modern clad coins and close to 70 silver rings/things in that time. The post I made above is the last of 8 gold rings I've found.

It's interesting that the copper pennies read different to a detector than zincolns which I usually leave them behind with the pulltabs but the pre-82s are showing up less and less in just the last year also. I have a 3# coffee can of Cu pennies but haven't figured out a way to economically melt them to turn in for scrap yet.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to fullsafe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah a decent metal detector would be nice, I'd have to get the boss to Ok it. She already said no.
    I'm a good boy and alway's listen to the bossAttachment 2093, So I'll have to stick to roll searching.

George Orwell

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Milomorai For This Useful Post:

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milomorai View Post
    Yeah a decent metal detector would be nice, I'd have to get the boss to Ok it. She already said no.
    I'm a good boy and alway's listen to the bossAttachment 2093, So I'll have to stick to roll searching.
    Too bad. She would've probably made a great digger for you.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to fullsafe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Latest roll search silver... 1942-S war nickel

I know your saying "BIG DEAL" that's only $1.09 worth of silver

Well how about the 1 and a half pounds I lost bicycling over to the bank to get the rolls.

Attachment 2158Attachment 2159

George Orwell

Thanks
    Another $1.09 people 1944-S War Nickel,Eat your hearts out

Attachment 2170Attachment 2171
    Last edited by Milomorai; 08-02-2013 at 06:01 PM.

George Orwell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 658 Posts
    I've done metal detecting for several years, but never invested in a real good detector, so have just found a few "nice" things.....As far as pennies, I run them through my homemade sorter which I probably invested $70 or so in....most of it going to a decent change sorter I use as a feeder for the comparator. It's every bit as good as a Ryedale from videos I've seen. I've also successfully used it for sorting silver dimes too though.....With nickels, I just buy a $100 box occasionally and use them like bricks for a wall...........I don't even break them open.....just a no risk investment, IMO...
    Last edited by Max; 08-03-2013 at 04:47 AM.
    Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and don't rely on your own understanding. In everything you do, seek His guidance, and He will show you the way. Proverbs 3;5,6 (translated)